CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

When Life Hands You Lemons…

Little Boy And Girl, Brother And Sister, Selling Beverages At A Lemonade Stand Clipart Illustration

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nowadays, it seems that life has been freely handing us a few choices we’d rather not have to deal with. Yet, even in the midst of all this, there are some that will use adversity as a stepping stone to liberate themselves from it all, and rise above it. Personally, I admire those people and always seek to discover their hidden secret to success.

Anyone that knows me well knows that I am a keen researcher. I love the quest for knowledge, and searching out information. Thus, my interest in those who find ways to surpass difficulty along, with trying circumstances fascinates me! Therefore, it was it was all the more important for me to seek an answer as to why I felt like I was so unhappy. I’ll start here:

Shortly after I married my husband, I had to relocate from the only place I’ve ever known as home. At first, when we moved there, I hated it! It was a small rural area, I knew no one, my closest family was almost seven hours away, and we were newly married. You know how it is. Still getting to know one another, we’d ‘saved’ ourselves for marriage as well. So, there was a little mystery there, too! Yes, it was exciting, awkward and scary all at the same time. However, after moving to a new area, it seemed difficult enough just moving from a big city to the “sticks”—I had to learn my way around, we were in the process of building a new house, and the kids were having a hard time adjusting to our blended family unit. Mommy was too! I just tried not to let on and keep up appearances all while feeling like I was slowly dying inside. Nevertheless, as mom’s, we try to hold it all together for the sake of the ‘kids.’ Now, fast forward seven years later…

Within the last few months, my husband received a promotion located on another Air Force base facility, and my family and I were going to have to make the long distance move, and return closely to the area where I was born and raised. The move was sudden, and my husband had to leave before the family in order to in-process as well as report for duty. I stayed behind to pack up the house. That was the first time we had had to live a part other than for a family visit or summer vacation. The move was not only daunting and exhausting, it was also heart wrenching, too. . But, you do what you have to do. Honestly, I was really happy for him as he’d wanted this job for the past 4 – 5years. Finally, he’d gotten the job he had wanted so desperately. He asked me how I felt about it all, beaming with such excitement and enthusiasm. How could I have said anything less than “I’m so happy for you, sweetheart?” 

Well, the time had finally come. While in route to our new home and destination, I looked out of the window, crying profusely as we backed out of the driveway; I turned my head making every effort not to look back. Then, I took my iPhone out of my purse to capture a picture of the road ahead. The road looked long and bleak. At the time, this is what I saw.

A Road Called Life

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

As we drew nearer to our new home—the bucket of lemons that seem so heavy, at first, began to lighten. After such a long ride, I got out of the car, and let out a long sigh. All I wanted to do was take a shower and lie down. I was totally exhausted!

The next day, my focus was a little clearer, and good nights sleep does wonders. As I began to look around the house, and take note of what would be placed where; I stopped for a moment and thought about how I could overcome what I’d perceived to be an adverse situation.

Then, I realized that my past was behind me. I could either be held hostage to the past, or I could trust God for my future, knowing that He knows what’s best for me! I was focusing so much on what I left behind, that I couldn’t see that God has a greater purpose for my future.

How do you overcome difficulty? Trust that God is in command, and without doubting, He will take care of you.

When life hands you lemons-- make lemonade!

“Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.” (Philippians 4:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment